Thursday, April 7, 2011

Gluten Free Trail Mix (Protein) Bars


Happy Thursday!  I am ready for the weekend.  It's been a long week for me, and some how I kept thinking of how I could get some more energy and protein bars came to mind.
Not that I am a huge proponant of energy bars, but  a lot of energy and protein bars contain gluten.   Most are also full of food stabilizers that I can’t pronounce and have no idea what they are. So why not try out these super delicious and filling trail mix bars that are great before a run or in the middle of a big game or just an office snack? 


Ingredients:
1 cup almond butter
1 cup honey
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup dried cherries
1 2/3 cup puffed millet
1 2/3 cup puffed rice
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup shredded coconut (optional)
1/3 cup quinoa flakes










Instructions:















Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with canola oil.


In a large saucepan, heat almond butter with honey over low
 heat until bubbles form. 




Mix dry ingredients. 

























Quickly stir in remaining ingredients 
and mix well. 









When cool enough to handle, press into baking pan. Cool 
completely. 


Cut into 40 bars.

Note: I found puffed rice, puffed millet, and quinoa flakes all on the cereal aisle of my grocery store. 



No comments: