Monday, April 4, 2011

Gluten Free Oreo Cookies

I told you I had a big surprise today! This is truly one of my favorite gluten-free recipes I have created and I am so excited to share it with you.  I hope you love it, too!

There is something about classic foods that bring about a special nostalgia to most people.  The problem is most of them contain gluten.  After having a craving for Oreo’s, I set out to create a recipe that was gluten-free and tasted better than the original.  One thing I hate about regular Oreo’s is the hydrogenated vegetable oil in the filling.  I found this great non-hydrogenated shortening at Whole Foods and it makes the best filling! The shortening helps the icing hold up and keep these sandwich cookies looking great and taste even better.  They disappear very quickly at our house.  The recipe seems long and complicated, but I promise these cookies are easy to make!  Just make sure you have lots of milk on hand for dunking!


Gluten Free Oreo Cookies

Dough Ingredients:
2 cups Pamela’s Gluten Free baking flour, plus more for dusting
1 1/2 cups Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Filling Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract





Instructions:

Sift together the gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl.
 


Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar. 




 Add the eggs one at a time and then vanilla.  


Add the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.



Divide the dough into 2 pieces and place on 2 separate pieces of Seran wrap. Flatten and wrap. Refrigerate until firm at least 1 hour.




Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  

Unwrap dough and on a surface dusted with the gluten-free flour. 


 Roll out the dough to about 1/8” thick (using the gluten-free flour on the rolling pin and dough to prevent sticking).  Using a 2-inch round cutter (about the size of a regular oreo), cut the dough into circles until all the dough is used (you can reroll the scrap). 


Place the cookies about 2 inches apart on baking sheets covered with parchment paper and chill for 20 minutes.  Bake the cookies 15 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.


Meanwhile, prepare the filling: Using a mixer, cream the butter and shortening until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla until the mixture is very smooth and creamy.




Fill a pastry bag or Ziploc with the filling and cut the corner of the bag. 


Flip half of the cookies upside down and top each with about 1 tablespoon of filling. Press the remaining cookies on top to make sandwiches. 
 





Notes:  If you want to make cookies and cream ice cream, these cookies are a great substitute.

Also, if you want a chocolate cookie crust for a pie or cheesecake, these cookies make a great one.  Just make the cookies and bake, but don’t make the filling. 

1 comment:

Claire said...

I have had these & can attest that they are amazing!!
Keep up the good work! Love you Belle!

xo,

Claire