Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Gluten Free Raisin Almond Granola


Not all foods from the grain family, however, contain gluten. Examples of grains that do not have gluten include wild rice, corn, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, quinoa, teff, oats, soybeans, and sunflower seeds.  Oats do not contain gluten but are often produced in plants that also contain gluten, so they are one of those foods you have to be careful about.  Few celiacs (people who are gluten intolerant) cannot tolerate oats, and others do fine with oats. 


Breakfasts for me are the hardest meal when you are gluten-free.  I can only eat eggs so many days in a row (and I am sure I am not alone on this one.)   I also needed n alternative, I could grab on my way out the door or in a pinch! Welcome, homemade gluten-free granola!  Its delicious, its cheaper than most store bought granolas, it lasts for a long time, and best of all it is also a great snack!   This recipe is really easy and the only thing you have to be careful of is the granola burning, so you just have to stir it really well every 10-15 minutes. I especially love granola with yogurt and fresh fruit! 

Gluten Free Granola

Ingredients:
3 cups Bob’s gluten-free oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup raisins
¼ cup maple syrups
1 cup apple juice (not from concentrate)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey





Instructions:

Preheat oven to 325°. Lightly coat a baking sheet with canola oil.

Combine oats, almonds, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl and mix well.




Combine apple juice concentrate, vanilla extract, vegetable oil, and maple syrup in a small bowl and mix well.  Add to dry mixture and mix until ingredients are moist.



Crumble mixture onto baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes to 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to allow for even cooking.




 Remove granola from oven, break apart while still slightly warm and toss with raisins and and honey. Cool on baking sheet.


Note: I make this recipe and change the fruits and nuts I use.  The possibilities are endless. One of my favorite combinations is dried cherries, dried apricots, sunflower seeds.  You are only limited by your imagination or the bulk department at your nearest grocery store. 

*** Yes, I did add the raisins too soon...if you caught this mistake, good for you! Mistakes happen and the granola turned out fine, I was just extra careful to stir the granola very often.

No comments: