Thursday, March 31, 2011

Gluten Free Meatloaf

When I was first told I should give up all gluten, I had a pessimistic attitude and could not stop thinking of all the food I loved that had gluten in it…pizzas, pastas, cupcakes, cakes, brownies, cookies, eclairs, biscuits, scones, waffles, pancakes,  French toast, macaroni and cheese, crackers, muffins, baguettes, bread, breadsticks, croissants, meatloaf!  MEATLOAF?  Yes, It has gluten I thought!  The breadcrumbs you use to make it have gluten… Growing up I hated meatloaf.  My mom would make it for dinner and even though it always smelled delicious eating MEAT in the shape of a LOAF grossed me out.  But as I grew up, meatloaf became a nastaglic food that I grew to love.  “And know I can’t eat it either.”  I was at the grocery store one day and found brown rice breadcrumbs and decided to give meatloaf try.  It came out moist, tender, and (I can’t believe I am saying this) delicious.  True, it’s not a gourmet 5-star meal, but there is something about it that just makes you feel like home.  At a restaurant in Austin, called East Side Café, they have a Shinerbock meatloaf that is out of this world.  We used to go in college just to get the meatloaf.  East Side Café was my inspiration for this meatloaf with the gluten free beer reduction.  I use ground turkey breast which makes it healthier.  Enjoy!

Gluten Free Meatloaf

Meatloaf Ingredients:
1 ½ pound ground turkey breast
1 egg beaten
¼ cup brown rice bread crumbs
1 cup gluten-free beer reduced to ¼ cup
1 ½ teaspoon horseradish
1 clove garlic minced
¼ cup grated onion
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Tomato Beer Reduction Ingredients:
1 cup gluten-free beer reduced to ½ cup
1 can tomato paste (minus the 2 teaspoons for above)
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper

 



Instructions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F°.

In a saucepan, reduce 1 cup of gluten free beer over medium heat until there is about ¼ cup left. Reserve for meatloaf.
 




Combine the ground turkey, egg, rice bread crumbs, reduced beer, horseradish, garlic, onion, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl. Mix well trying not to mash.







  

Place in a bread loaf pan using a fork to spread the meat evenly.




For tomato beer reduction, pour 1 cup of gluten-free beer into saucepan and over medium heat reduce until there is 1/2 cup of liquid left. 


Add tomato paste, and simmer.  Stir until combined.  


Add brown sugar, salt, and pepper. And bring to a boil. Remove from heat.



Top with the tomato beer reduction.


 Bake until internal temperature reaches 160° about 35 minutes.  Serve hot and enjoy!


Makes 4 servings. I served mine with roasted asparagus and cauliflower leek mash! 

No comments: