A friend recenly said to me, “I don’t know what gluten is, but I like it!” And I did, too, until November 2009 when a doctor recommended that I qive it up to cure my psoriasis. “You have got to me kidding me,” I remember thinking. I had just graduated from culinary school and knew how many foods contained gluten. I decided to dive into this gluten-free stuff headfirst and start creating the foods I love, but without the gluten. Being able to eat the foods you crave and love, makes a gluten-free lifestyle possible.
Since the cool weather is back for a few days, I decided to share one of my favorite comfort food recipes. Who doesn’t love a cheesy, gooey mac ‘n cheese? Especially when it is gluten-free!
Gluten Free Mac and Cheese
8 oz. Quinoa Gluten-Free Shells
2 1/2 cups milk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup Pamela’s Bread Mix and Flour Blend
6 ounces Gruyere (grated)
4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
10 Gluten-Free Cracklebread crackers
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375°.
In a pot bring 4 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil.
Add the shells and stir.
Cook according to directions on package. Cook about 7 minutes or until almost al dente. Do not overcook. Strain and rinse with cold water.
In a saucepan, warm the milk, but do not boil.
In a separate saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter.
When melted, add the gluten-free flour.
Using a whisk, stir constantly so the mixture does not burn.
Over low heat, cook for 2 minutes. Add the warmed milk and then whisk until thick about 2 more minutes.
Remove from heat and add both melted cheese. Stir until all cheese is melted. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Stir the cooked pasta into the cheese sauce and then pour into 8’x8’ square baking dish.
In a food processor, grind the cracklebread until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Add the ground cracklebread to melted butter.
Remove from heat and mix until combined. Evenly top the mac ‘n cheese with ground cracklebread.
Bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 4 large servings, 6 small servings.
Yum! Enjoy!





2 comments:
love it annabelle!! looks delicious - proud of you for taking this challenge head on!
Thanks, Maddie! Miss you and hope all is well!
Post a Comment